Skip to Content
U.S. National Institutes of Health
Last Updated: 10/28/10

Vanderbilt Chemical Diversity Center (VCDC)

Alex Waterson and Gary Sulikowski, co-PIs

The Vanderbilt Chemical Diversity Center (VCDC) provides a full range of chemistry capabilities needed for drug discovery and development. This includes custom synthesis of known and unknown compounds, synthesis of compound libraries, lead optimization, large-scale synthesis, and compound purification. Medicinal chemistry support includes in vitro screening for and optimization of ADME/DMPK properties, and preliminary compound formulation studies. The VCDC also provides expertise in natural product extract isolation, purification, and characterization in addition to semi and total synthesis of complex natural products and their analogs. In silico support comprises similarity searches for compound identification and prediction of ADME and toxicologic properties, generation of quantitative SAR models to predict biological activity from chemical structure, and structure-guided compound design based on crystal structure of target proteins when available. The VCDC possesses a 180,000-compound library, approximately 96% of which was obtained from ChemDiv and ChemBridge, using a Lipinski filter to select a structurally representative sample of those larger compound collections. The remaining 4% of compounds include unique structures synthesized at Vanderbilt, and a growing collection of natural products isolated and/or synthesized by Vanderbilt researchers or obtained through collaborations with the University of Alabama-Huntsville, MIT, and the University of Mississippi. The compound library is currently growing at a rate of about 3,000 compounds a year from all of the above sources.